My Most Recent Button Finds

A couple of years ago, I found a treasure trove of buttons in a little town near our rental cottage. Last summer I made my way to the store only to find it gone. Because it's such a small town, I was able to ask around and find the ladies who had owned the shop. Luckily, they still had a stash of buttons and I was able to purchase some.
I love that large one with the cording around the edge. It looks as if it might be a hand made button and the material has the look and feel of very fine hair but it's hard to tell for sure and the person I bought it from couldn't identify the material either. I know that people used to save the hair of loved ones and use it in jewelry but I'm not sure if anyone made buttons from it.
In the top photograph, you can see that I got some lovely carved mother of pearl buttons which fascinate me because of the many variations in the designs of the carvings.
I was also able to by a few bakelite shank buttons which I hope to make into a bracelet.
Happy collecting to you all!

Comments

Bet you had fun choosing which ones to buy. xx
Jean said…
Lovely. I wish I knew more about identifying bakelite. I am sure I have a bunch! LOVE the mops! Etched ones are so elegant. Great find!
I love bakelite buttons but the large button does appear to be hair..maybe from a small child. Peace, Mary Helen
Laurie said…
Yes, they did used to make buttons from old hair -- what a find!
LP Vintage said…
Thank you for your comments everyone. Yes, I sure did have fun deciding which buttons to buy!
Mary Helen and Laurie: thank you for clarifying that they did make buttons from hair in the past. I do believe this one could be from the hair of a small child.